In my courses, students learn English in a fun and dynamic environment.
Discussing students’ interests to improve fluency.
Role-playing to prepare for real world situations.
Talking about different cultures to increase cultural awareness.
I personalize my classes for each student by learning about their interests, learning style, and background. This results in curriculums that students find engaging and maximizes their learning potential. We also work together to set challenging and realistic goals so that students can monitor their progress.
- Improve conversation skills with speaking & listening practice.
- Focus on key writing and reading skills.
- Increase knowledge of grammar rules and vocabulary, as well as awareness and accuracy in pronunciation.
- Become effective and autonomous learners outside of the classroom.
- Build fluency and confidence.
The Communicative Approach
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.
– Albert Einstein
There are 5 key principles (outlined by David Nunan) that differentiate this from the outdated “traditional” teacher-centered approach to teaching language.
- Emphasize learning by interacting in English (the “target” language).
- Introducing authentic materials (e.g. video, audio, text).
- Providing opportunities for learners to focus on the learning process itself.
- Enhancing the learner’s own personal experiences as important elements to learning.
- Linking classroom language learning with language use outside the classroom, in the real world.
I personalize my courses to each student by incorporating topics that match their interests and needs. A variety of materials are utilized to help improve their speaking, writing, listening, and reading skills.
- Video (e.g. movies, TV shows, TED talks, music videos)
- Audio (e.g. interviews, radio broadcasts, songs)
- Text (e.g. books, articles, blogs)
Depending on each student’s’ preference, there is also opportunity to incorporate textbooks as part of the curriculum. The textbooks I have utilized previously include Business Benchmark, Business Result, Cutting Edge, New Framework, New Matrix, and Speakout.